Broccoli Shells n’ Cheese





Tonight's dinner began with requiring me to cook pasta and broccoli simultaneously (since I was using frozen, not fresh broccoli), which I managed to get perfect timing on. Miracles do happen, apparently. So while those two things were cooking separately, then together, I decided I would brave cutting up the onion, which thank goodness, went well--otherwise, we wouldn't have had dinner. I secretly cursed Will with leaving me with the task of cutting the onion, but alas, I tackled the beast. After that went alright, I also shredded up cheese, which is something I definitely need practice at. Especially in the not shredding off my fingertips part...No injuries to report tonight,  but that's because I gave up with a good half inch block of cheese left and just cut it since all it was doing was melting anyways!

Once the pasta and broccoli were done cooking, I drained and set them aside. I started cooking the onion and butter until it was soft, then added flour to make a roux. That seemed to work correctly (thank goodness BB has step by step pictures), so I added half and half (since we apparently drank all of our milk...) and let that all sit to simmer. I went rogue and added some cracked pepper, white pepper, and a teensy bit of cayenne while it began to simmer. Once it was good and thick, I added the shredded cheddar and grated parmesan, which melted perfectly and immediately. Add a dash of sriracha, and the sauce was ready :),, Excellent recipe! will definitely be using it again in the future. :D

Recipe >> Broccoli Shells n’ Cheese @ BB ( Budget Bytes )

Popular Posts